[DBWG] mnt-by attribute on autnums

Ben Maddison benm at workonline.africa
Fri Aug 24 12:54:07 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I'm opening this topic again in the hope that the upcoming changes to the RIPE DB will create some urgency. This has been raised with staff a number of times, with no results at all.

Currently, the "mnt-by" attribute of all autnum objects in the AFRINIC DB are set to 'AFRINIC-HM-MNT'.
Member owned mntner objects are only allowed in:
- "mnt-lower" (allowing creation of AS6500:AS-FOO style objects)
- "mnt-routes" (allowing creation of route[6] objects that have matching origin - a control which is going away as a result of the discussion on https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/dbwg/2018-May/000035.html)

This restriction means that a member cannot update the attributes (including things like [mp-]import/export) of the autnum without the manual assistance of the hostmaster. This restriction doesn't appear to be present (as far as I can tell without being a user of those DBs) at any other RIR.

It seems to me that the only autnum attribute that ought not to be under the control of the assignee member is "org", since this is only allocation-related attribute in the object.

We have never migrated our RR data from RADB to AFRINIC because of this issue.
Please can we fix it?

Cheers,

Ben Maddison

Director