[DBWG] mnt-by attribute on autnums

Madhvi Gokool madhvi at afrinic.net
Fri Aug 24 13:17:13 UTC 2018

Hello Ben

On 24/08/2018 4:54 PM, Ben Maddison wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm opening this topic again in the hope that the upcoming changes to the RIPE DB will create some urgency. This has been raised with staff a number of times, with no results at all.
>
> Currently, the "mnt-by" attribute of all autnum objects in the AFRINIC DB are set to 'AFRINIC-HM-MNT'.
Correct. This is the maintainer that protects resources issued by
AFRINIC from unauthorised changes.
> Member owned mntner objects are only allowed in:
> - "mnt-lower" (allowing creation of AS6500:AS-FOO style objects)
> - "mnt-routes" (allowing creation of route[6] objects that have matching origin - a control which is going away as a result of the discussion on https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/dbwg/2018-May/000035.html)
>
> This restriction means that a member cannot update the attributes (including things like [mp-]import/export) of the autnum without the manual assistance of the hostmaster. This restriction doesn't appear to be present (as far as I can tell without being a user of those DBs) at any other RIR.
AFRINIC is aware that its members need to autonomously update their
routing policy on their ASNs.
The mnt-routes allows a member to update its import/export attribute. We
have tested this previously and it worked. May we please ask you to test
as well(update your ASN with the attributes) and share with us the error
messages that you receive. We will test it again as well.

> It seems to me that the only autnum attribute that ought not to be under the control of the assignee member is "org", since this is only allocation-related attribute in the object.
>
> We have never migrated our RR data from RADB to AFRINIC because of this issue.
If migration is because of this issue, we hope to see you adopting the
AFRINIC IRR very very soon.