[Community-Discuss] [rpd] Unaddressed queries by AFRINIC during AGMM

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jun 29 09:41:39 UTC 2021

> On Jun 27, 2021, at 14:48 , Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 3:29 AM Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com <mailto:rfg at tristatelogic.com>> wrote:

> In message <7DFE61F1-1FDE-4F53-AC41-B95D4CB4A9F7 at delong.com <mailto:7DFE61F1-1FDE-4F53-AC41-B95D4CB4A9F7 at delong.com>>,

> Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:

> >Note that Ronald makes it clear that entities which have no nexus in the

> >AFRINIC service region should not be eligible for membership.

> Just to clarify, that's not exactly what I said. I quoted the Bylaws.

> They say that one must have -both- a business footprint in the region

> -and- also must be providing some (unspecified) amount of service

> within the region.

> The practise across the Internet is that, majority of the usage is local/regional and a small % is outer-region to support expansion or connectivity back into the region.

Nope… That’s far from common practice across the vast majority of multi-national companies with significant infrastructure around the internet.

For example, Hurricane Electric has a number of datacenter locations in Africa, but not one allocatoin/assignment from AFRINIC.

kiev:owen (142) ~ % whois -h whois.afrinic.net he.net 2021/06/28 18:13:33
% This is the AfriNIC Whois server.
% The AFRINIC whois database is subject to the following terms of Use. See https://afrinic.net/whois/terms

% Note: this output has been filtered.
% To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

%ERROR:101: no entries found
%
% No entries found in source AFRINIC.

kiev:owen (143) ~ % whois -h whois.afrinic.net hurricane 2021/06/29 2:32:41
% This is the AfriNIC Whois server.
% The AFRINIC whois database is subject to the following terms of Use. See https://afrinic.net/whois/terms

% Note: this output has been filtered.
% To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

%ERROR:101: no entries found
%
% No entries found in source AFRINIC.

When I worked there, Akamai had significant infrastructure all over Africa, but was not an AFRINIC resource member. They do appear to have
some AFRINIC space now, including a /30 and a /28 from PCCW in Nigeria now, but I’d hardly call that significant given the amount of infrastructure
they have on continent numbered from other RIRs.

> Pretty much all LIR in all regions operate at a local scale and a few with massive economies of scale expand out especially the so called hyperscalers and tier-1 providers so to speak.

No.

Maybe in Africa, but in most regions, there is a mix of global networks and domestic networks. Sure, the number of small network operators is greater
than the number of large ones, but the vast majority of addresses are in the hands of the larger global carriers and mega-ISPs.