[Community-Discuss] [rpd] Unaddressed queries by AFRINIC during AGMM

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Sun Jun 27 21:48:52 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 3:29 AM Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>
wrote:

> In message <7DFE61F1-1FDE-4F53-AC41-B95D4CB4A9F7 at delong.com>,

> Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> >Note that Ronald makes it clear that entities which have no nexus in the

> >AFRINIC service region should not be eligible for membership.

> Just to clarify, that's not exactly what I said. I quoted the Bylaws.

> They say that one must have -both- a business footprint in the region

> -and- also must be providing some (unspecified) amount of service

> within the region.

The practise across the Internet is that, majority of the usage is
local/regional and a small % is outer-region to support expansion or
connectivity back into the region.

Pretty much all LIR in all regions operate at a local scale and a few with
massive economies of scale expand out especially the so called hyperscalers
and tier-1 providers so to speak.

Cheers
Noah