[Community-Discuss] Resignation

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 27 04:54:40 UTC 2021

> On Jul 26, 2021, at 11:17 , Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

> Folks,

> The fact remains that only an irresponsible resource member or those who have violated the RSA are the ones that would worry about an Assisted Review.

Nope… Simply provably not true.

> Accountability is what the wider community has been seeking since 2014 and until accountability is achieved, friction shall not end in light of the unfair distribution of resources.

What you call “unfair", I call “according to policy”. AFRINIC is in violation of its own policies and governing documents and indeed, accountability is needed, but it is not particular resource members that need to be held accountable nearly so much as the AFRINIC staff and board.

> The board should not leave any stones unturned come rain come shine. You will be threatened, bank accounts shall be frozen, attempts to be sued shall be endless, some of your colleagues shall jump ship prematurely, but stand for the truth in the midst of deceit [1].

Sure… Truth works for me… Truths to date in this process:

+ AFRINIC has violated its own policies
+ AFRINIC has attempted to apply policies and constraints which simply don’t exist
+ AFRINIC has refused to follow lawful court orders

> Stand for accountability. Stand for responsibility usage of number resources as bestowed in the AFRINIC bylaws section 3.4.

Accountability and responsibility work for me, too:

+ Hold the board accountable for their actions which have brought this problem about
+ Hold the staff accountable for their failure to adhere to policy
+ Have AFRINIC take responsibility for its failures
+ Hold the board responsible for their lack of transparency and eliminate or severely curtail the infamous board NDA
Limit the NDA to specific privileged information such as legal strategy, attorney work product, and personnel matters only,
or eliminate it entirely and depend on the good faith of board members to keep relevant matters confidential.
+ Require greater transparency and detail in board minutes. Include summaries of deliberations and comments attributed
to board members who made them. Include a roll call vote for each resolution.

I’m all for improving accountability and responsibility. Great suggestion, Noah.

> ICP-2 section 4

??
4) Neutrality and impartiality in relation to all interested parties, and particularly the LIRs

All organisations that receive service from the new RIR must be treated equally. The policies and guidelines proposed and implemented by the RIR need to ensure fair distribution of resources, and impartial treatment of the members/requestors.

The new RIR should be established as an independent, not-for-profit and open membership association.

How is this relevant in the context?

> Noah

> [1] https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2014/004161.html <https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2014/004161.html>

Do you have any reason or basis for belief that this was not true at the time of writing?

To the best of my knowledge, it was, in fact, true at the time of writing. Subsequently, things changed.

That’s not deceit, that’s evolution.