[Community-Discuss] Blog: A Comprehensive audit of the AFRINIC WHOIS Database

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sat Feb 13 09:22:29 UTC 2021

In message <CAEqgTWYPM=tXAEYnHpxExFBEUvJAX6G6K5kLOc1TuzT1G1Os4A at mail.gmail.com>
Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

>In short AFRINIC is paving the way and seeks the communities input on how

>to handle the abandoned space.

>When one attempts a whois query today, you will note a flag which AFRINIC

>has slapped on most of the legacy space which has since been recovered some

>of which is under dispute.

>But we have an RIR in AFRINIC which is now trying to do something about it.

>I am of the view that we perhaps engage the working group to see if we can

>work out a policy on how to handle the space and/or getting it into the

>free pool.

I have attempted to make my own views on this issue clear.

Legacy blocks that are under the administration of AFRINIC should all
be returned to their rightful owners, or to the rightful legal heirs and
successors of those organizations where such may be reasonably determined,
based on historical research.

It is my firm belief, based upon my own investment of many many hours
in doing exactly such research, that the rightful owners, or their
legitimate and legal heirs and successors can be found... most quite
easily... for each and every legacy block that falls under the current
administration of AFRINIC.

Regards,
rfg