[Community-Discuss] Notice to all the legacy netblocks holders in AfriNIC

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Fri Feb 5 14:01:04 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 05/02/2021 16:43, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Originally, the space was used for some rather specialized connectivity

> services. Due to changes in the market and the legal environment, those

> services became less lucrative and the organization pivoted.

> Hardly any organization that has been in this business for more than 10

> years is using every address they have for the exact purpose for which

> it was approved.

True.
And i just stumbled upon many sections in
https://afrinic.net/membership/agreements?lang=en#rsa
where this is not permitted [1]
So I view this as you advocating a "flexible" interpretation...
^^^^^^^^

> None the less, delegating addresses to customers for their legitimate

> use as unique internet addresses remains the primary purpose of any IR

> whether it be regional, national, or local.

here comes the danger of mixing LIR and non-LIR ...

> There exists no requirement in policy that such delegations involve

> connectivity services.

For LIR: [1]

> In fact, no RIR provides connectivity services to

> any of the organizations it issues addresses to.

I think noone was talking about RIRs [2]

> Certainly, if such a requirement were intended, it could have been

> written into the policy.

... and here I see a more strict interpretation....
^^^^^^

Frank

[1]
The Applicant hereby irrevocably:
(i) Commits itself to using the services solely for the purpose for
which it was requested.

[2]
https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/community-discuss/2021-February/003901.html

> FWIW, an LIR in Afrinic documentation means: “Any Network Operator

> that provides Internet services to distinct end-users and end-sites.”

> In the same context, LIRs are allocated IPv4 space of type Provider

> Aggregatable “Allocated PA”.

Yes.
(that's your paragraph I responded to)