[Community-Discuss] Notice to all the legacy netblocks holders in AfriNIC

Frank Habicht geier at geier.ne.tz
Fri Feb 5 05:07:27 UTC 2021

Hi Owen,

On 05/02/2021 03:56, Owen DeLong wrote:

>> On Feb 2, 2021, at 4:29 AM, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz

>> <mailto:noah at neo.co.tz>> wrote:

>> FWIW, an LIR in Afrinic documentation means: “*Any Network Operator

>> that provides Internet services to distinct end-users and end-sites.*”

>> In the same context, LIRs are allocated  IPv4 space of type Provider

>> Aggregatable “Allocated PA”.

> Yes. It does not specify the type of internet services. Are you arguing

> that the leasing of address blocks is not an internet service?

My initial 'gut' response was "YES" - leasing is not a service as
intended. But: I didn't check the scripture, IANAL, and I don't want to
get into *that* discussion.

But I have just one question:

Is *leasing* the kind of use, for which the IP space was applied for and
justified?

AfriNIC staff: has any LIR applied for IP space for the purpose of
*leasing* and received IP address space?

Thanks,
Frank