[Community-Discuss] FUNDRAISING & DONATIONS - TO KEEP AFRINIC RUNNING

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Aug 18 20:29:11 UTC 2021

On 18 Aug 2021, at 3:49 PM, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com<mailto:Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>> wrote:

John

My problem with what you are saying is that it is predicated entirely on trust – trust that the board is doing everything they can – trust that the board is prudent – trust that the board is sticking to fiduciary duty. I would argue that trust – may be a little hard to come by when it comes to handing over money – considering the situation the company now finds itself in under the leadership of this board – can considering past years.

Sorry – but as a community member – Questions like these aren’t about feeling good and trusting – they are pertinent – valid – questions – that may be uncomfortable to answer – but saying that we should just trust – without any firm answers – in light of the situation – well – I have to say that personally – I find that a little hard to swallow

Andrew

Andrew -

I am not telling you to trust (or not trust for that matter) - this really isn’t about you, and would not presume to suggest what course of action is best for you.

Rather, I am stating that AFRINIC is supplying substantial updates and communication to the community – particularly given that there is major litigation underway. You may not find it sufficient to address your legal assertions posed as questions, but then again, no organization in the midst of serious litigation is going to address legal speculation to the extent you seem to desire.

Luckily, there is a community that does believe in AFRINIC and has come together to support it during this time of need. You can certainly become a member of that community or not, but neither choice will validate your unrealistic expectations for organizational legal engagement in midst of litigation.

Best wishes,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO