[Community-Discuss] FUNDRAISING & DONATIONS - TO KEEP AFRINIC RUNNING

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Wed Aug 18 20:41:33 UTC 2021

On Wed, 18 Aug 2021, 22:55 Andrew Alston via Community-Discuss, <
community-discuss at afrinic.net> wrote:

> John

> My problem with what you are saying is that it is predicated entirely on

> trust –

On the contrary the secretariat which Af-IX partners have selected to work
with is TESPOK.
TESPOK is a professional organisation that many large and small ISPs
including the Government of Kenya has entrusted since 2002.

TESPOK and other partners have covered clearly what will happen to the
funds and how the donations will be accounted for and the reports that will
be made publicly available.

Visit the TESPOK website and read and if you feel there is something
missing, please let the volunteers in this endeavour know.

trust that the board is doing everything they can – trust that the board is

> prudent – trust that the board is sticking to fiduciary duty. I would

> argue that trust – may be a little hard to come by when it comes to handing

> over money –

The Af-IX and its partners are the ones responsible in this endeavour. The
ISP/IXP associations involved are self organised and will be accountable to
the donors who will contribute to this fund.

I hope this helps you from the self righteous confusion you may be having
in terms of how the self-organised Af-IX partners will be ensuring that
AFRINIC core functions continue to stay up and running.

Cheers,
Noah
TISPA

FWIW, the culture of donation is not alien in this part of the world. We
donate to support weddings. We donate to support funerals. We donate to
support pay for medical expenses. We donate to build community roads. Its
our culture and we sure know how to hold each other accountable.