[Community-Discuss] Questions

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Thu Dec 24 13:10:10 UTC 2020

On 24 Dec 2020, at 14:25, Ish Sookun wrote:

> Instead, I see you are arguing with a Board Director who is only

> telling

> you that AFRINIC has a regulatory constraint in giving you access to

> data it possesses.

this is not quite a regulatory constraint. this information is, or was,
already in the public domain. and so this is not *private* per se.
however, as SM pointed out, the current afrinic *whois-db policy*
constraint, is not to make the history of deleted objects available.
that’s an entirely different problem.

the OP wanted historic information that _would not be available via any
other means_, to [every|any]one else. supplying this to one party
without a legal writ, would put afrinic in an indefensible position.
however, making that historic information available, via something like
a WHOWAS service [1], is not illegal. and if the historic data is made
available, then a historic-bulk-whois-request-form can be created,
satisfying the original request. or, y’know, script queries :-)

making this historic data available, is not difficult [2]. it is just
that the *current* db policy does not permit it.

-n.

[1] https://www.apnic.net/static/whowas-ui/
[2] https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/dbwg/2020-December/000286.html