[Community-Discuss] Ongoing thefts of AFRINIC Legacy Resources -- Ongoing collusion?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu Aug 20 09:20:00 UTC 2020

In message <42f227eb-7700-310d-5aec-9d7ebde8934b at geier.ne.tz>,
Frank Habicht <geier at geier.ne.tz> wrote:

>"EU" - end user organisations do not give IPs or internet services to

>other organisations ("customers"). practically any corporate entity

>(that's not an ISP) should fall under this.

>Universities - should likely mostly be "EU", but I know already two in

>Tanzania alone that are currently listed as LIR...

Thank you for your clear and concise explanation. I am still wondering
about the meanings of all fo these other org-types...

1871 org-type: LIR
632 org-type: EU-PI
94 org-type: EU-AS
84 org-type: MEMBER-ONLY
10 org-type: OTHER
8 org-type: REGISTERED-MEMBER
6 org-type: ASSOCIATE-MEMBER
5 org-type: RIR
1 org-type: NON-REGISTRY
1 org-type: IANA
1 org-type: other

>Now an observation I just made:

>from Feb 2007 until May 2014 "ORG-IA41-AFRINIC" was an LIR!

>and a change from LIR to "MEMBER-ONLY" (at 2014-05-26 13:15) should have

>come with removal of all resources, I believe.

The *full* history of the 196.16.0.0/16 block *and* its associated ORG,
i.e. ORG-IA41-AFRINIC have actually been deliberately *hidden* from view
BY THE AFRINIC STAFF. Some part of the full history has actually been
deliberately ERASED from the data base, apparently as part of a cover-up
that would implicate certain people. And no, I am NOT talking about
Ernest. I am talking about someone else... some other crooked insider
within AFRINIC.

Madhvi Gokool, who was good friends with Ernest, knows all about this
organization and this block (196.16.0.0/14), but she has been told to
keep her mouth shut. I have asked her why a part of the history of
this block got mysteriously "disappeared" and she refused to talk about
it other than to say that yes, some AFRINIC insider had fiddled the
records on this in a way so as to make a part of the history "disappear".

As I have learned, this kind of "covering up" of the facts is apparently
par for the course when it comes to AFRINIC. Both Eddy and Madhvi have
consistantly stonewalled me at every turn as I tried to get more
information about the full history of all of the many still-stolen
legacy blocks that I just posted a list of. This raises the obviously
question: Who told them to stonewall and who are they protecting?
What is the big secret that is being kept from the community and from
the dues-paying AFRINIC members?

Given everything that has gone on, and given the checkered history of
AFRINIC, including the several scandals that arose even before Jan
Vermeulen and I exposed the thefts of Ernest Byaruhanga, one would
think and hope that AFRINIC management and the Board would have learned
their lesson by now, and that they would now be bending over backwards
to err on the side of transparency. But this is NOT what has happened.
They are still stonewalling and still hiding the ball. All of the bogus
secrecy surrounding the lawsuit filing by Mr. Cohen is only the latest
example of these ongoing attempts to cover up the truth so that neither
the dues-paying members nor the public will find out the whole truth.

Well, I am sick and tired of these games, and you should be too.

Regards,
rfg