[Community-Discuss] Gratitude

Mike Silber silber.mike at gmail.com
Wed May 29 15:02:57 UTC 2019

Hi Adewole

This is a useful resource - though many of the references are South African legal requirements, they are similar to many others found elsewhere.

http://www.governance.org.za/wp-content/uploads/NPO-Code-Web-Version.pdf <http://www.governance.org.za/wp-content/uploads/NPO-Code-Web-Version.pdf>

I am not familiar with any "globally acceptable standard of board confidentiality for community-driven organizations that are responsible for managing public resources”. I think the best example is ICANN (yeah - it is kind of expected I WOULD say that). However, after the various accountability and transparency changes that have happened - I do think that ICANN is a useful example https://www.icann.org/resources/accountability <https://www.icann.org/resources/accountability> (as well as the new bylaws and the document disclosure policy - and the approach of proactively relating most information and not relying on DIDP requests). Critical is not just policies and standards - but actual practices that  demonstrate a commitment to transparency. I think ICANN has vastly improved its practices - but there is always room for improvement.

Transparency International has some great resources - but very focussed on corruption - so many are not that relevant: https://www.transparency.org <https://www.transparency.org/>

A number of the Corporate Governance Codes do deal with transparency and confidentiality. While most regard transparency as positive - the focus of most codes is largely on commercial and specifically listed companies. In listed companies - information disclosure follows a regulated approach to avoid deception of the stock market and is not really analogous to a not for profit / community environment.

I think one of the biggest challenges is that AfriNIC has not found a creative way of dealing with the difference between resource members and the legal corporate members under Mauritian law (a position currently occupied by the board). So Mirriam was not wrong to say that the AGMM is at the pleasure of our directors and we as a community have very few rights in that regard. We have handed our mandate to a board and those minutes seem to indicate that some are not worthy of our trust. My sincere appreciation to those who are deserving of our trust!

I know that APNIC and ARIN had an almost identical corporate structuring concerns and they both found ways to deal with it to ensure that the power is in the hands of the community and not the board.

I hope AfriNIC is willing to listen to our discontent and actually be creative about this much debated issue.

Regards

Mike