[Community-Discuss] Gratitude

DANIEL NANGHAKA dndannang at gmail.com
Wed May 29 10:16:58 UTC 2019

I think the mandate of AFRINIC has to be visited.
I am for Accountable leadership and transparency. The community deserves
accountability to what is happening. If the documents are for public
domain, then nothing should be hidden.
ᐧ

On Wed, 29 May 2019 at 12:33, Adewole Ajao <dewole at tinitop.com> wrote:

> My worry in all of this is that these board meeting minutes imply that an
> AFRINIC director (or directors) attempted to remove another director
> because he "violated the NDA" by sharing a public document with the
> community.
>
> I rush to conclude that it was an attempt to remove a director from the
> board because we have removed directors from the board in recent years
> solely on the grounds of NDA violation. With the board NDA still in place,
> chances of getting the full story from any of the parties involved are slim
> to none. I'm not sure that this community (and company) can ever get to a
> point of proper accountability/responsibility if so much is hidden under
> the cover of confidentiality.
>
> Is there a globally acceptable standard of board confidentiality for
> community-driven organizations that are responsible for managing public
> resources? Can we look at improving the confidentiality agreement that is
> used by the AFRINIC board? Although as per section 3.2.2 of its terms of
> reference at https://www.afrinic.net/govcom#tor the Governance Committee
> may not provide advice on specific internal proceedings of the board,
> section 3.1.4 puts the issue of NDA within scope as it can be argued that
> the NDA signing is part of the appointment process since it is the first
> thing a member does on appointment to the board. Failing that, perhaps the
> CEO can refer it under the provisions of section 3.1.7 so that a body
> outside the board can tackle the issue?
>
> In any case, it is best we look for a good way to get rid of this
> us-versus-them that seems to keep recurring between the AFRINIC board and
> the AFRINIC community on whose behalf it is elected to act. Getting rid of
> unnecessary secrecy may be a good way to start.
>
> Regards,
> Dewole.
>
> On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 1:51 PM Sander Steffann <sander at steffann.nl>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was just reading the board minutes at
>> https://www.afrinic.net/ast/pdf/2019-minutes/20190305-minutes.pdf and I
>> am surprised at the level of micro-management that CEO Alan Barrett has to
>> deal with. In those minutes both Alan and Seun Ojedeji seem to be
>> reprimanded for being open and transparent to this community. The summary
>> of those minutes show how the board has made it explicitly clear that the
>> CEO is to have no responsibility anymore towards this community.
>>
>> Therefore I would like to explicitly and publicly express my gratitude to
>> both Alan and Seun for their efforts to keep this community involved in
>> Afrinic matters in an open and transparent way. I feel this is a strong
>> requirement for keeping Afrinic respected and supported by both its members
>> and its community.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Sander

> On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 1:51 PM Sander Steffann <sander at steffann.nl>
> [...]

Nanghaka Daniel K.
Executive Director - ILICIT Africa/ Chair - Outreach and Engagement WG
(ICANN At-Large)/ former Chair - FOSSFA  / Geo4Africa Lead / Organising
Team - FOSS4G2018
Mobile +256 772 898298 (Uganda)
Skype: daniel.nanghaka