[Community-Discuss] FW: Everyone... meet Benjamin

John Walu walu.john at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 13:09:52 UTC 2019

There is some African proverb that says:

*Why burn down the whole granary just because of one or two rodents?*

I accept AfriNIC has deep issues.  But shutting it down is not an option.
That would simply make some countries like Kenya begin to seriously think
of having and managing its own IP resources  - rather than begging Europe
or America to access the same.

By the way, ITU and others would really love to see such a breakup happen
so that African governments can finally get to sit on these IP resources as
opposed to having to consult some RIR located many miles away in the middle
of the Indian Ocean.

AfriNIC shutdown should never be an option since the outcome may pan out
very differently - and not necessarily be through RIPE or ARIN (like it
used to be the 90s).

walu.