[Community-Discuss] 2019 Board Elections: Fix against having sole candidates WAS Re: AFRINIC Borad Elections

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Thu Jul 4 21:49:52 UTC 2019

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019, 00:31 Sylvain BAYA, <abscoco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a particular, written, ethic to avoid unwanted situations ?

There are existing guidelines and bylaws.

We have had situations where two or more candidates on a slate were
rejected in past elections rendering the seat empty with the board going on
appointing volunteers to fill the space.

We recently had cases of one/solo candidate and they got elected. If they
were to be rejected, the bylaws empower the board to again appoint or the
incumbent continue serving but only if they were not candidates for
reelection.

> How this part of the elections process can be also improved ?

Nomcom guidelines could perhaps allow for a minimum of three candidates.

Noah