[Community-Discuss] 2019 Board Elections: Fix against having sole candidates WAS Re: AFRINIC Borad Elections

Sylvain BAYA abscoco at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 05:00:58 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Comments inline, please.

Le 7/4/2019 à 10:49 PM, Noah a écrit :

> On Fri, 5 Jul 2019, 00:31 Sylvain BAYA, <abscoco at gmail.com

> <mailto:abscoco at gmail.com>> wrote:

> Is there a particular, written, ethic to avoid unwanted situations ?

> There are existing guidelines and bylaws.

Thanks Noah, i mean particulary a rule which could help to fairly
address the new "issue"
raised by some ones onlist.

...i went through this document [1] and i see that only the section 6
provides information
about what can be called election campaign (so, to be added ?).

> We have had situations where two or more candidates on a slate were

> rejected in past elections rendering the seat empty with the board

> going on appointing volunteers to fill the space.

> We recently had cases of one/solo candidate and they got elected. If

> they were to be rejected, the bylaws empower the board to again

> appoint or the incumbent continue serving but only if they were not

> candidates for reelection.

Yes, i'm already aware of these cases.

> How this part of the elections process can be also improved ?

> Nomcom guidelines could perhaps allow for a minimum of three candidates.

...possible way to go, but my question was a bit off-topic :-/

I think, there is some need to somewhat clearly define how candidates
should organize
their elections campaign. Something like an election campaign ethical
guidelines :-/

I went, also, through this Nomcom guidelines [2] then i have seen no
such a provision.
If the community agrees with the idea, the BoD could add some specific
guidelines,
about election campaign ethic, in section 6 of the BoD Election Process
and Guidelines [1].

__

[1]: Board of Directors (BoD) Election Process and Guidelines (20181126)
<https://afrinic.net/election-process/board/20181126>

[2]: AFRINIC Guidelines for ad hocNomCom for Board seat 2 election,May 2018
<https://www.afrinic.net/ast/pdf/201804-afrinic-adhoc-gomcom-guidelines.pdf>

Shalom,

--sb.

> Noah