[Community-Discuss] 2019 Board Elections: Fix against having sole candidates WAS Re: AFRINIC Borad Elections

Sylvain BAYA abscoco at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 21:26:09 UTC 2019

{perhaps a bit off-topic :-/}

Hi all,

Please see below (inline)...

Le mercredi 3 juillet 2019, Sunday Folayan <sfolayan at gmail.com
<mailto:sfolayan at gmail.com>> a écrit :

Hello Ahmed Fadl and the community,

Soliciting for votes is not really a problem, indeed if the proposed
candidates have strengths that will be of use to the Board, AfriNIC
Ltd and the community at large, their promoters and campaign team
can work hard at members buy-in for their proposed candidates
without running other candidates down.

Sunday (or any other participant), how the electoral campaign is
organised at AFRINIC ?

Is there a particular, written, ethic to avoid unwanted situations ?

How this part of the elections process can be also improved ?

Thanks & Shalom,
--sb.

In this case, what I find disturbing are:

1. That there is an undocumented strategy

2. That the fielding of sole candidates by NOMCOM was part of that
undocumented strategy.

3. That other strategies may probably have been deployed in the past.

My take on all the issues are that:

For 1. ... "Buyers Beware". Enough said.

For 2, ... we need to fix that, and fix it as soon as possible.

I propose the following fixes:

a) NOMCOM should not only present volunteers, it should seek
qualified and experienced candidates who will consent to serving on
the Board.

b) Those who will nominate candidates must seek the concurrence of
the candidates before nominating, to eliminate the step of seeking
the consent of the candidates after nominations.

c) Where there is only one candidate after all said and done, the
members should be able to reject such a candidate at the Ballot

d) Where candidates are rejected, the incumbent should serve for a
maximum of 90 more days, within which an online election should be
conducted to fill the vacant seats

Do we need to change the bylaws? I don't think so. The proposed fix
can go into the AfriNIC election guideline, as allowed by the
existing bylaw. It should be shared with the members and the
community early, and approved promptly towards the next election.

For item 3, ... Perhaps it is too early to comment. Let us grab some
pop-corn and stayed tuned to this movie channel.

Sunday.

[...]

Sunday Adekunle Folayan
Managing Director
General data Engineering Services (SKANNET)
16 Oshin Road, Kongi Bodija, Ibadan - Nigeria
Phone: +234 802 291 2202, +234 816 866 7523
Email: sfolayan at skannet.com.ng <mailto:sfolayan at skannet.com.ng>, sfolayan at gmail.com <mailto:sfolayan at gmail.com>

Sylvain B.
<http://www.chretiennement.org>
__