[Community-Discuss] The Looting of AFRINIC

Sunday Folayan sfolayan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 18:54:21 UTC 2019

It is a shame that the system was exploited. I did not in anyway suggest
that the malfeasance be ignored, or that we should focus only on legacy
space.

The community has been informed that there is already some internal
investigations ongoing. We should give AFRINIC the time to get things
done. I equally expect that if criminal actions and intentions are
established, the law should take its course and people should stand
accountable for their deeds.

I query the suitability of a system, where existing or moribund
organizations' IP resources are stolen/hijacked/leased for upwards of 7
years, and it took this level of cross-border investigations to discover
the manipulations. If the resources are indeed not needed or in active
use, why would or should they not have been returned to the Registry for
the common good?

For those whose resources were stolen or hijacked, I expect their legal
department will be pursuing the hijackers/traders/users with gusto by now.

While appreciating the whistle blower(s) for a job well done on behalf
of the entire community, Instead of running a mob-justice system here,
with the assurance that justice will be served, the community should
rather apply its mind on how to make sure that IP resources are
available for developing the continent. That will be a better use of our
time and intellect.

Sunday.

On 05/12/2019 1:46 PM, Mike Silber wrote:

> Be that as it may - that seems to ignore the fact that there appears

> to have been significant malfeasance regarding non-legacy space.

> I just want to ensure that we maintain a balanced view of the problem

> and not deflect it to focus only on the legacy space issue.

> It terms of priorities - it would make sense to me to focus on how

> space that should have been subject to the RSA has been

> mis-appropriated and then turn to the more difficult question of

> legacy space. If the current processes are open to abuse, then moving

> legacy space under those processes may not have the desired outcome.

> Mike

>> On 5 Dec 2019, at 14:27, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu

>> <mailto:mark.tinka at seacom.mu>> wrote:

>> Completely agree with Sunday.

>> Mark.

>> On 5/Dec/19 13:02, Sunday Folayan wrote:

>>> Isn't it time to address Legacy space issues, specifically ancient

>>> squatters on spaces meant to develop the Internet in Africa, AfriNIC

>>> Services and bringing legacy spaces under some form of RSA?

>>> I urge the community to think beyond the sensation and let us see

>>> how to help and empower the people doing useful work for Africa.

>>> Thanks.

>>> Sunday.

Sunday Adekunle Folayan
Managing Director
General data Engineering Services (SKANNET)
16 Oshin Road, Kongi Bodija, Ibadan - Nigeria
Phone: +234 802 291 2202, +234 816 866 7523
Email: sfolayan at skannet.com.ng, sfolayan at gmail.com