[Community-Discuss] Internet shutdown in Africa

Ish Sookun ish.sookun at lasentinelle.mu
Tue Apr 30 20:01:04 UTC 2019

Hi Dewole,

On 4/30/19 11:25 PM, Dewole Ajao wrote:
> I wouldn't say any website should be blocked. If the policy makers have
> a concern (founded or unfounded), all we can do is try to educate them
> and show them better ways to deal with their concerns. Now is the time
> to start that engagement (if possible) - not after they have started
> blocking stuff.

I believe that fits the IGF.

It would be ideal if a discussion could start here and reach people with
decision-making mandates. At the moment, I do not see anything within
AFRINIC that could take things beyond the mailing list, except the will
of people.

Benin is part of the West African Internet Governance Forum (WAIGF).
There is no mention of the internet shutdown that happened in Benin at
https://www.waigf.org/news. Shouldn't the regional IGFs write in support
of internet users of Benin?

Regards,

Ish Sookun