[Community-Discuss] Core and Extra services of Afrinic

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Apr 8 21:27:54 UTC 2019

> Also, to take into consideration if there is a return on investment in the
> training of IPv6 in the African region, as very few ISPs are dual stack.

The main purpose of the training is to help change that sad fact.

> Afrinic should first invest in its core services prior before making a
> heavy investment in capacity building and outreach.

I’m not convinced that the core infrastructure problems are the result of money
not being spent where it is needed. Do you have some evidence to show that
is the cause?

> I am perplexed seeing the number of staffs in capacity building team in
> Afrinic.

I understand that you don’t value capacity building. Many other members of the
community have expressed a strong desire for it and it has definitely helped
accelerate the pace of development in the region.

> Board members of Afrinic, how do you prioritize what is critical and what
> is not?

I would hope, in part, that they listen to the full community and look at the
genuine needs overall and make reasonable decisions as to the fiscal management
of the organization.

So far, I think that’s mostly what is happening.