[Community-Discuss] Allegation of Harassment

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Mar 27 04:17:23 UTC 2018

> On Mar 25, 2018, at 11:53 , Arnaud AMELINA <amelnaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Owen,
>
> In what capacity are you writting?  as a simple community member or  Reverend Sunday's lawyer?

Since I am not now, nor have I ever been a lawyer, this seems a rather silly question. Against my better judgment, I will dignify it with the answer that I am writing as a member of the community, your less than flattering opinion of my mental abilities notwithstanding.

> The reason i ask is because the ardor you put in defending the defendants surprises me a lot.

I don’t believe I have defended Sunday. What I have said is that he is innocent until proven guilty and has a right to due process. That we should not consider allegations alone to be proof.

> Why don't you let the reverend defend himself! He is mature enough and has been chairing the board for a while.

In any instance where I see a mob going after someone without a trial or conviction, I will attempt to dissuade said mob. It is what is necessary if we are to have a just society built on a rule of law instead of chaos built on vigilantes and lynch mobs.

> As usual you are trying to play the devil, but the current scenario requires care and a sense of responsibility as the attitude one would expect from an ARIN AC member.

I don’t believe for one second that I have ever attempted to play the devil. Perhaps you intended devil’s advocate (which I admit I sometimes will play, but not all that often, actually).

However, whether you intended what you actually said or what I believe you meant, in either case, that is not what is happening here. I am merely suggesting that a lynch mob full of vigilantes is not a useful mechanism for resolving the current situation and that we should all stand down, let cooler heads prevail, and wait for due process to sort itself out.

> Please let this community shows you how we handle issues which may differ from where you come fom.

No, we still have parts of the deep south where some citizens are occasionally subjected to vigilantes and lynch mobs. It’s an unfortunate tragedy that we have not completely eliminated these groups, but racial hatred, fear mongering, and tribalism are difficult to eliminate from a society with such a long tradition of it.

I do believe that the community as a whole, save for a few vocal members such as yourself, is attempting to follow due process and do things correctly. I’m all for that.

> Accept the difference and learn for once.

I don’t think that I can accept a difference that includes a lack of due process, justice, and rational rule of law. Lynch mobs and vigilantes and hate groups are evil things that I will oppose wherever I encounter them, whether it is in my own country, or around the world.

Owen

> [...]
>
> Again, this is also not quite true. Some members of the community are saying this, but no objective deterministic research has been presented showing that this position is held by a majority of the community.
>
>> The office bearer also has an allegation which is personal and that needs to be investigated since it has far reaching implications to the individuals involved.
>
> At least there is one true statement in your email.
>
>> The community is saying we need to move and he steps aside deals with his issues without affecting AFRINIC business. I think this is only fare.
>
> Some members of the community are saying this. Other members are calling for a rational approach to a valid and fair investigation and due process.
>
>> However at the moment we are all being held hostage due to decisions made earlier.
>
> This is simply sensationalism which has no legitimate place in the discussion. Nobody is being held hostage. I realize that it is popular to use this term as rhetoric in AfriNIC discussions, but really, there are no prisoners here. There are no hostages. The due process is being followed with reasonable deliberate haste.
>
>> We need to move
>
> What kind of movement are you seeking? Do you propose that we gather a lynch mob and take out all of those who are accused without bothering to investigate or establish the true facts of the situation?
>
> I’m sure this would satisfy the more vocal members of the community, but I do not think it would shine a positive light on AfriNIC going forward.
>
> I am very happy to see the current leadership attempting to continue with due process under the circumstances despite the mob mentality being expressed on this and other lists.
>
> Owen
>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 23 Mar 2018, at 07:33, Sunday Olutayo <olutayo at olutayo.ng <mailto:olutayo at olutayo.ng>> wrote:
>>
>>> Why is judgment being pass without investigation and hearing? Why are some people eager to be the hangmen without due process? I believe in justice, and it can only be obtained or dispersed through due process.
>>>
>>> We can not be passing judgment of yet to be proofed allegations. So let follow due process, the independent committee should it work.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Sunday Olutayo
>>>
>>> On Mar 22, 2018 11:39 AM, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz <mailto:noah at neo.co.tz>> wrote:
>>> On Thu, 22 Mar 2018, 5:57 p.m. Wayne Diamond, <wayne at domains.co.za <mailto:wayne at domains.co.za>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Some body from the AfriNic board that is NOT implicated in either the harassment or breach of NDA needs to take control now and make a decisive statement to the community in the very near future (as in 72 hours) in order to inform the community of what is being done about each of the issues.
>>>
>>> Thanks Wayne....
>>>
>>> And to be pricise we have below board members who seem to lack cohesion but i could be wrong.

>>> Mr.Abibu Ntagihiye
>>> Mr.Bope Christian
>>> Mr.Ilunga Serge
>>> Mr.Ojedeji Seun