[Community-Discuss] Cotonou Meeting (off-topic)

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Thu Jun 21 13:50:52 UTC 2018

I have to second this -

In the past I have raised tickets - and no - I'm in the mood to go digging back through mountains of emails to find them - the ticket system should be able to find them - and had no responses for ages.

I also point out that there was an explicit problem reported to the board and the ceo about an investigation - that was made by the South African ISP contingent on the NAP list - a response was forthcoming to say "it was being investigated"

Time frames have been requested - nothing has come back - no time frames - no answers.

This is a repetitive - constant issue - that I have seen raised time and again year after year.  And I have to question what is going on here - lets look at it realistically - AfriNIC employs 9 people in Member Services (still confuses me btw why the IT and engineering team is larger than the team that is meant to handle AfriNIC's core business, because that currently sits at 10).

I went and checked ipv4 allocation requests as per the delegation file going back to the beginning of the year... its now the 21st of June as I write that - there have been 117 work days in Mauritius since the 1st of January.  Between 9 staff - that equates to 1053 Man days - at 8 hours a day that's 8424 man hours - there have been 111 allocations made.

That means - your average turn around time in man hours to do one allocation is running to 75 hours per allocation - or 9 days.  AfriNIC has consistently stated that small allocations are generally very fast - and can be turned around in a day or two - 25 of these allocations were /24s - so lets say we allocate a full 16 hours to each of these allocations - that would take 400 man hours - your average for the rest of them - is now sitting at 93 man hours per allocation - considering your average work week is 40 hours - we're talking about over 2 weeks per every allocation.

Come on people - no one can claim this is acceptable

Andrew