[Community-Discuss] Target large communities (was: Community-Discuss Digest, Vol 252, Issue 1)

Badru Ntege badru.ntege at nftconsult.com
Mon Jan 22 04:11:22 UTC 2018

Sent from my iPhone

On 17 Jan 2018, at 00:49, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com<mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:

In order, the top 10 are:

English (196M)
Arabic (140MM)
French (120MM)

Thanks for this list however to help clarify only the top three are actually the official languages in the countries.  Over 90% of African countries use these languages

Swahili or Kiswahili (100MM)
Hausa (70MM)
Berber (56MM)
Yoruba (28MM)
Oromo (26MM)
Amharic (22MM)
Igbo (18MM)

Total: 776MM

So the top 10 languages would cover roughly 15/16ths of the population.
If we move cover the top 5, we get 626MM or roughly 3/4 of the population.
The top 3 (English, Arabic, French) will cover 456MM or roughly 1/2 of the population.

I do find it interesting that the first African language comes in at number 4.

Owen