[Community-Discuss] Questions about AfriNIC Allocations

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Tue Dec 4 07:24:10 UTC 2018

Hi AfriNIC,

I was running my stats scripts and I noticed something which I found kind of alarming and I'd like to hear thoughts on why this might be.

Now - I realize this is still early December 2018 - but we're almost at the end of the year and unless there are a LOT of ASN's about to be issued - I see that AFRINIC is running at a lower ASN allocation rate across the continent than at any year since 2009:

2009: 82
2010: 113
2011: 109
2012: 128
2013: 155
2014: 134
2015: 151
2016: 166
2017: 152
2018: 99

With the exceptions of Botswana (2 in 2018, 1 in 2017), Egypt (2 in 2018, 1 in 2017), and Tanzania (5 in 2018 and 2 in 2017) the ASN allocation rates in every single country on the continent are way down, and across the continent in total, down by more than 30% when compared to 2017 - that is *extremely* alarming when considered in the context of the African ecosystem and its growth - especially when we consider that Africa as a continent already only accounts for 1653 allocated ASN's of the 62700 odd ASN's in the global BGP table (2.6%) and in terms of active ASN's on the continent that drops to roughly 1.9%

As AFRINIC has a mandate to promote Internet growth across the continent, I really think it would be good to understand what their thoughts on this are - and no - before I get jumped on - I am not blaming AFRINIC for the drop - but it certainly does warrant questions being asked.

Thanks

Andrew