[Community-Discuss] [members-discuss] FW: For attention of the NRO and the boards of the respective RIR's

ALAIN AINA Alain.Aina at wacren.net
Wed Apr 25 08:21:13 UTC 2018

Dear Community,

Recent developments at AFRINIC involving board chair and staff has raised  general indignation in this community which as individuals, stood up to condemn and asked for the appropriate actions and measures be taken. As expected, we saw resistance and interpretation of laws, morals and behaviours. A resolution was proposed  to demand vote of no confidence on the whole board as board was seen as reluctant to invoke article 14.1(III) of the bylaws, which is the only mechanism to remove a board member.

Since then, former chair has resigned from the board, and folks think it was time to turn the page of the resolution and focus on the issues raised by the board and staff incident:
- investigate and clarify responsibilities,
-  take actions against wrongdoers,
- take actions in favour of the victims,
- review board and management governance and practices to prevent this in the future and
- restore  good work ambiance at AFRINIC

Apparently this view was not shared by all. Some still want  the vote of no confidence and the board decision to not include the point on the agenda  for the AGMM, invoking  article 12.14(IX), created another turbulence in the air.

Why should  we be selective in the application  of the bylaws or the company act ? is it not our  collective responsibility to respect and follow the bylaws which governs our operations? how long will it take for us to learn that laws and regulations apply to all and we shall constantly seek the best for the community and the organisation and not favour our personal and direct interests ?

Have we forgotten that  bottom-up and community-driven were recently always challenged and opposed to Bylaws and company act ?

Before Tunis 2015 and following the Tunis incident, part of this community has been asking for a complete review of AFRINIC accountability after several years of operations and to adapt to  new developments and comply to current best practices. A major request is  to review AFRINIC legal status and  give power and mechanisms to members to recall board members.

AFRINIC accountability review : A long way, a structural problem to solve

Late 2015 board engaged in an accountability review…  a public summary of the review results  was published in may 2016.  https://www.afrinic.net/images/AFRINICRIRAccountabilityAssessment-PublicSummary-20160518.pdf

In June 2016,  some propositions( in 12 points)  of amendments to the bylaws based on the review  were  submitted to the community for discussions by the board.  https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/community-discuss/attachments/20160610/86196c1f/attachment.pdf

As  one can see, the point of giving power and mechanisms to members to recall board members was not taken into account.

After some long but interesting discussions, other points including the recall of board members were added, making the total of proposed changes to 17 from  the 12 originally proposed by board.  https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/community-discuss/attachments/20161104/cc58b033/attachment.pdf

All suggestions for a consensual amendment of the bylaws as a whole were ignored  in favour of voting on 17  independent resolutions. Unsurprisingly  the results  are what we got. The resolution on board member recall was also rejected as was seen to target specific board members.

Afterwards, the community was told that the GC will be formed and one of its 1st priority will be another accountability review with focus on community requests which did not pass. Nothing has pop up since.

We have seen enough developments to  convince all  that the new accountability review is a must. Let create a favorable environment for it and the required amendments to proceedings implemented as soon as possible.

In the meantime, let us refocus. I call upon the board to show a clear plan for the  accountability review as well as for the reviews  and actions required  from the recent  board-staff incident.

===
Board web page can tell those  were serving when this review and bylaws changes were conducted, same as  list archives available to tell how  things went or were managed.

Hope this helps

—Alain