[Community-Discuss] Incident between myself and Prof. Quaynor

Evelyn Namara evelyngeek at gmail.com
Mon May 29 12:17:42 UTC 2017

Dear all,

For some of us, we joined this community to seek inspiration from people we
admire and look up to in this community.

As the next generation, we are here to learn and get inspired to take up
the mantle and hopefully one day also help this community advance to the
next level.
It is from this angle that I say, it was quite unfortunate to learn about
that particular incident. We need to shine a positive light as members of
influence in order to positively influence the next generation of leaders.

There needs to be a code of ethics or conduct that anyone in a leadership
position needs to uphold.

Let's be conscious and know that we are watched and will be ultimately
judged by our actions.

Kind Regards,

Evelyn.

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Hountomey Jean Robert <
jrhountomey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Andrew,
> Please let us know what cultural gesture of reconciliation disrespecting
> an Elder is and which culture are we talking about.
> If after few beers you are not able  to control your actions, I wonder
> what ethical standards to hold you to.
> Your actions are impacting negatively on the reputation of the AfriNIC.
> This is unacceptable.
> Jean-Robert.

> :
>
>> Hi All,
>>

>> On the night of Saturday the 27th of May, 2017, while having drinks at
>> the bar, after a week of intense pressure related to concerns about the
>> event, and under the influence of a few beers, as a cultural gesture of
>> reconciliation, I delivered a drink to Dr. Quaynor.  This is customary and
>> is done as a show of reconciliation.
>>

>> However, when delivering that drink, it seems that I made a mistake with
>> the words that I used and offense was taken.  This was not intended and for
>> the offense caused, I offer an unreserved apology.  I also need to
>> reiterate that anything said was in no way in my capacity as a board
>> member, and was done on a personal basis.
>>

>> Again, if I have caused offense, I apologize and it was unintended.
>>

>> Yours Sincerely
>>

>> Andrew Alston

Evelyn Namara | T: +256 754 440893 | E: enamara at riseup.net | Twitter:
@enamara <http://www.twitter.com/enamara> | Skype: enamara

PGP: B94D 3950 38D6 914A E054 D6C5 E82E 0F66 DC01 E30D