[Community-Discuss] "Fighting Internet Shutdown" - Any Role for AFRINIC?

Ish Sookun ish at lsl.digital
Sat Apr 15 18:46:21 UTC 2017

Hi SM,

On 04/15/2017 06:38 PM, sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:

> I did not receive any reply from the president of the local ISOC chapter
> when I asked about internet shutdowns.  There hasn't been much interest
> in the human rights issues during that debate.  Three companies in the
> region participated in the recent debate.  There weren't any comments
> from organizations with an interest in human rights.  I'll conclude that
> there aren't any organizations in the region which are interested in that.

Are you referring to the tweet?

On the ISOC member portal the Mauritius chapter is just a phone number,
nothing more. There is no information about other members or a
president. I see no ISOC activity in Mauritius. I read that you
participated in a Mauritius chapter meeting in 2011. I do not know if
there were meetings afterward.

In the previous email Alan Barett talked about the dual mandate of
AFRINIC; one of which is « to promote the development of the Internet ».

Is there any organization that promotes the development of the Internet
in Mauritius?

Ish Sookun

I drink coffee and manage Linux servers for lexpress.mu.