[Community-Discuss] "Fighting Internet Shutdown" - Any Role for AFRINIC?

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Sat Apr 15 14:38:58 UTC 2017

Hi Andrew,
At 14:39 14-04-2017, Andrew Alston wrote:
>But it raises a question – annd its one I've
>been debating at length online with multiple people.
>
>AfriNIC – completely neutral ttechnical body
>AfriNIC – political organisation with a technical function
>AfriNIC – A hybrid of both of thhe above?
>
>Because that impacts how we view things – and it
>impacts the role that the organisation shoould be playing.

Afrinic is responsible for the distribution of
number resources.  It is a company with a policy
function.  The recent debate is about whether a
RIR can take back the resources of a government
because of a political decision of that government.

>So – for the sake of debate –

I did not receive any reply from the president of
the local ISOC chapter when I asked about
internet shutdowns.  There hasn't been much
interest in the human rights issues during that
debate.  Three companies in the region
participated in the recent debate.  There weren't
any comments from organizations with an interest
in human rights.  I'll conclude that there aren't
any organizations in the region which are interested in that.

If Afrinic directors claim to speak about the
internet for this region, the company will have
to decide whether it has the moral and ethical
responsibility to get involved in
internet-related issues affecting the users in
the region.  Some of those internet-related
issues are political, e.g. a government blocked
internet access to content from the opposition.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy