[Community-Discuss] Accountability assessment - quorum

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Fri Sep 30 17:48:29 UTC 2016

On 30 Sep 2016 18:11, "Alan Barrett" <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> wrote:

> > On 30 Sep 2016, at 18:59, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:
> >
> > On 30 Sep 2016 15:26, "Alan Barrett" <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thank you for the advice.  I suggest that the limit on pnumber of
proxies should be removed.

> > Hi Alan,
> >
> > Ok  what is going on here....
> >
> > No No No No, I dont support the sentiment that number limit in proxies
should be removed.

> We have just received an informal legal opinion that the limit is
illegal.  Therefore, I suggest that the limit should be removed.

> However, I also think that we should ask the legal adviser for a more
detailed and formal opinion.

Indeed and in agreement so that we stop speculating.

> > Lets remember that the bylaws do contain institutional memory;
> >
> > - The community quite recently added the constraint to discourage
carrying as many as 20 proxies which is in my opinion still too much.

> > - The bylaws review is so that we can improve  accountability, am i
right? and as such the removal of the proxy limits cannot be argued to
improve accountability imho;

> > - We should not be abusing the on going review process to change bylaws
because we can (scope matters) like this. No No No….

> The main reason for the bylaws changes that I am shepherding is to
improve accountability, and especially to remove opportunities for
institutional capture by minority interests.

That is our ultimate goal after all.

> Removal of the proxy limits can be argued to increae accountability, or
to decrease it.  The argument can be made in either direction.

How would the removal of proxy decrease accountability where better
optional methods like online voting are already in place.

Online voting has already been tested to work and has so far been ok and
with more improvements, should remain the defacto way of voting considering
90% of the membership dont attend physically and a handful of them
participate remotely.

In fact even those onsite could vote online while on site.

> > - There may be more important improvement to accountability at AFRINIC
which we seem to shy away from including: Board recall, CEO to become ex
officio etc etc etc and as it suits us we shout loud..

> I heard the request for a Board recall ability, and it will be presented
in due course.

Just like others within the community, the ability to recall the board is
something i would be keen to discuss further.

> Alan Barrett

Noah