[Community-Discuss] Accountability assessment - quorum

Alan Barrett alan.barrett at afrinic.net
Fri Sep 30 15:09:41 UTC 2016

> On 30 Sep 2016, at 18:59, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:
>
> On 30 Sep 2016 15:26, "Alan Barrett" <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you for the advice.  I suggest that the limit on pnumber of proxies should be removed.
> >

> Hi Alan,
>
> Ok  what is going on here....
>
> No No No No, I dont support the sentiment that number limit in proxies should be removed.

We have just received an informal legal opinion that the limit is illegal.  Therefore, I suggest that the limit should be removed.

However, I also think that we should ask the legal adviser for a more detailed and formal opinion.

> Lets remember that the bylaws do contain institutional memory;
>
> - The community quite recently added the constraint to discourage carrying as many as 20 proxies which is in my opinion still too much.
>
> - The bylaws review is so that we can improve  accountability, am i right? and as such the removal of the proxy limits cannot be argued to improve accountability imho;
>
> - We should not be abusing the on going review process to change bylaws because we can (scope matters) like this. No No No….

The main reason for the bylaws changes that I am shepherding is to improve accountability, and especially to remove opportunities for institutional capture by minority interests.

Removal of the proxy limits can be argued to increae accountability, or to decrease it.  The argument can be made in either direction.

> - There may be more important improvement to accountability at AFRINIC which we seem to shy away from including: Board recall, CEO to become ex officio etc etc etc and as it suits us we shout loud..

I heard the request for a Board recall ability, and it will be presented in due course.  I don’t know what you mean by “CEO to become ex officio”.

Alan Barrett