[Community-Discuss] IPv4 depletion in AFRINIC will speed up IPv6 adoption - myth or fact?

Omo Oaiya Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net
Fri Oct 28 08:28:11 UTC 2016

On 28 October 2016 at 09:01, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com>
wrote:

> Ø  Like others,  I would like to see widespread v6 adoption but we do
> need to be careful to explain the stats we provide especially for those who
> advocate to other stakeholders.
>

> I 100% agree…

Great

> and this is why I asked if it could be explained to me how the correlation
> between v4 depletion and v6 depletion was drawn from a presentation that
> refers entirely to GDP correlation on v6 deployment, because I honestly
> don’t understand that correlation.

I don't know where you got this from.   Honest's point is that there is NO
correlation between IPv4 depletion and IPv6 uptake i.e that you and Owen
have opinions that are not supported by evidence or data

> Sadly, I’ve heard deafening silence since then, and it seems that question
> is going unanswered.

Perhaps because she was bemused at the lack of understanding?

> As someone from academia, Omo I am sure you agree with me that any
> conclusions drawn from a dataset need to be explained by the individual
> drawing the concerns in order for any weight to be applied to them?

No I don't. She provided an interpretation of the dataset which she argues
is at odds with your opinions.  From what I can see, she is correct.

It is up to you to defend your position with some data or substantiate an
argument from what she has provided.

-Omo