[Community-Discuss] IPv6 Chapter 254

Saul Stein saul at enetworks.co.za
Fri Oct 14 12:22:52 UTC 2016

Hi,

Here are some interesting points.

As things stand:

1)      AFRINIC makes money from assigning v4 space

2)      If you had to stop allocating v4 space today, there’d be a political
uprising by many (and refer to above, AFRINIC would need to update its
financial model ASAP

3)      As long as there is v4 space, people, due to human nature aren’t
going to do extra work and migrate to v6

4)      We know that v4 exhaustion as per other regions forces v6 adoption

So why not let v4 be used up naturally?

Why when asking for v4 space (and justifying it) to the afrinic staff reply
with: “and in consideration to the policy principle of conservation” The
policy for allocations is for another topic)

If the ISP/LIR has a requirement for the v4 space to be used on the
continent, give it to them:

a)      Its earns AFRINIC much needed revenue (this enables training,
research and other important project)

b)      Facilitates the natural rundown of v4 space

c)       Ultimately will employ more people on the continent as Kevin points
out, you’ll now be duplicating work

Basically a win-win situation. Let the v4 space go to LIRs who want/need it.