[Community-Discuss] IPv6 Chapter 254

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Wed Oct 12 14:42:02 UTC 2016

Andrew Alston wrote:

[...]

> There is one problem with your argument here - and I agree with you in
> one sense.  In the home user market the users don't need to know - and
> that’s what we did in our rollout in the home user market.
>
> The corporate side is NOT like that - you HAVE to communicate with them
> for simple reasons:
>
> A.) In many corporates you don't control the CPE - unless you're doing fully
> managed service.  This means they have to change things on their CPE to
> route the v6 through.
>
> B.) Corporates run firewalls - firewalls have to have v6 rulesets and have
> to be configured
>
> C.) Corporates run internal network infrastructure - often with multiple
> vlans etc - this requires configuration.

I think the only thing we disagree on is where the transition happens. In my experience, the overwhelming proportion of businesses are genuinely tiny, ranging from an individual to a dozen people. And even when businesses grow larger they can often buy packaged hosted services and tie everything together with the cheapest Internet access they can buy. Lots of businesses buy and use services designed for the residential market instead of higher quality "corporate" services.

Regards,

Leo Vegoda