[Community-Discuss] IPv6 Chapter 254

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Wed Oct 12 14:02:54 UTC 2016

Leo,

There is one problem with your argument here - and I agree with you in one sense.  In the home user market the users don't need to know - and that’s what we did in our rollout in the home user market.

The corporate side is NOT like that - you HAVE to communicate with them for simple reasons:

A.) In many corporates you don't control the CPE - unless you're doing fully managed service.  This means they have to change things on their CPE to route the v6 through.
B.) Corporates run firewalls - firewalls have to have v6 rulesets and have to be configured
C.) Corporates run internal network infrastructure - often with multiple vlans etc - this requires configuration.

So yes - home user you can turn on and off it can go - this is *exactly* what we did to turn Zimbabwe green on the v6 map. Corporates are a far far more tricky story, and there you actually have to put in some work.

Andrew