[Community-Discuss] Limit on the number of proxies

Alan Barrett alan.barrett at afrinic.net
Mon Nov 14 07:48:30 UTC 2016

> On 14 Nov 2016, at 11:33, Saul Stein <saul at enetworks.co.za> wrote:
>
> Personally i would like to focus on removing the need to have proxies in the first place.
>
> We need to be able to easily vote for elections, resolutions and policy online.
> Open the voting a week before and keep it open x days after to enable people who are away to catchup and vote.
>
> This would resolve the need for people to carry proxies and thus the possibility to sway results

I agree that electronic voting removes the need for proxies.  I think it would be good if everybody voted electronically, and nobody asked for a paper ballot or a proxy.  Unfortunately, I think that we are legally required to allow voting via proxy.

We already encourage electronic voting, we open electronic voting some time before the meeting, and we try to make electronic voting easy.

I don’t understand how we could keep electronic voting open for a few days after the meeting.  How could we count the votes and announce the result if voting is still open?

Alan Barrett