[Community-Discuss] IPv4 depletion in AFRINIC will speed up IPv6 adoption - myth or fact?

Arnaud AMELINA amelnaud at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 17:28:34 UTC 2016

> Arnaud,
>

> Let me be very clear –
>

> I never expressed support for this policy – I asked a question.
>

> I am COMPLETELY opposed to this policy, and will be until such time as the
> policy explicitly states that in the event of a complaint against a member,
> the member is informed when he is audited who complained and the grounds
> stated for the complaint.  That is in line with internationally accepted
> practice that the accused may have the right to confront his accuser, and
> protects against malicious accusations for the sake of causing on going
> work for an organisation.
>

> It opens the door for legal action against an accuser by the accused, if
> the accused feels the accuser is lodging complaints that are malicious and
> unsubstantiated in nature, and it means that those who are complaining and
> demanding audits are doing so **backed by evidence** rather than because
> they feel they can.
>

> I also argue that any person who issues a complaint should be willing to
> subject themselves to automatic audit, which again, will cut down on
> unfounded complaints that are not backed by evidence.
>

> In addition to this, complaints should be submitted by **members** alone,
> they are the true stake holders, and I will oppose any policy that allows a
> random member of the community to submit arbitrary complaints without
> proof, evidence or proper substantiation.

Andrew,
The relationship between the RIR and its members is based on trust.  I feel
you miss the intent of this proposal and imagine too many negative
things.   A network truly using resources should not care.  I also feel you
confuse role of policy and Afrinic staff who have responsibility to propose
a process in accordance with the RSA.

> Further to this, 3.4 makes reference to unauthorised transfers.  I can
> issue with auditing against something that is unauthorised when there is no
> process to authorise it.  That needs re-wording until such time as there is
> a transfer policy.   I also take issue with 3.4 that it is declared as a
> non-exhaustive list.  That is an open door for abuse, define the reasons
> for audit and stick to them.
>

> I also take **HUGE** issue with 3.6 – if you want 3.6 and you want to
> publish the names of companies that have been audited, firstly, you have to
> publish the names as well of the requesting party, and secondly, that would
> be a direct violation of the confidentiality agreements agreed to in the
> RSA which you yourself refer to in the policy.
>

> Those are my thoughts – but until those issues are rectified – I do not
> support this policy, nor do any of the 15 organisations which I represent
> directly support this policy.

Oooh! I am not aware that we can have proxy for PDP discussions too.

> Once those issues are rectified, I will **consider** support for the
> policy, but the above points are deal breakers for me – after that,
> consideration can be given.

--Arnaud