[Community-Discuss] IPv4 depletion in AFRINIC will speed up IPv6 adoption - myth or fact?

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Tue Nov 1 16:39:43 UTC 2016

Arnaud,

Let me be very clear –

I never expressed support for this policy – I asked a question.

I am COMPLETELY opposed to this policy, and will be until such time as the policy explicitly states that in the event of a complaint against a member, the member is informed when he is audited who complained and the grounds stated for the complaint.  That is in line with internationally accepted practice that the accused may have the right to confront his accuser, and protects against malicious accusations for the sake of causing on going work for an organisation.

It opens the door for legal action against an accuser by the accused, if the accused feels the accuser is lodging complaints that are malicious and unsubstantiated in nature, and it means that those who are complaining and demanding audits are doing so *backed by evidence* rather than because they feel they can.

I also argue that any person who issues a complaint should be willing to subject themselves to automatic audit, which again, will cut down on unfounded complaints that are not backed by evidence.

In addition to this, complaints should be submitted by *members* alone, they are the true stake holders, and I will oppose any policy that allows a random member of the community to submit arbitrary complaints without proof, evidence or proper substantiation.

Further to this, 3.4 makes reference to unauthorised transfers.  I can issue with auditing against something that is unauthorised when there is no process to authorise it.  That needs re-wording until such time as there is a transfer policy.   I also take issue with 3.4 that it is declared as a non-exhaustive list.  That is an open door for abuse, define the reasons for audit and stick to them.

I also take *HUGE* issue with 3.6 – if you want 3.6 and you want to publish the names of companies that have been audited, firstly, you have to publish the names as well of the requesting party, and secondly, that would be a direct violation of the confidentiality agreements agreed to in the RSA which you yourself refer to in the policy.

Those are my thoughts – but until those issues are rectified – I do not support this policy, nor do any of the 15 organisations which I represent directly support this policy.  Once those issues are rectified, I will *consider* support for the policy, but the above points are deal breakers for me – after that, consideration can be given.

Andrew