[Community-Discuss] Accountability assessment

Lydea Akiriza akirizal at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 10:53:47 UTC 2016

Thanks Ornella for asking those questions,the responses from Alan help
alot. Now I am informed:-)
On 17 Jun 2016 12:52, "Alan Barrett" <alan.barrett at afrinic.net> wrote:

> On 17 Jun 2016, at 13:21, Honest Ornella GANKPA <honest1989 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Mr Alan,
>
> I have a question: I heard the term bottom up a lot during the last AIS.
So it occured to me that Afrinic is driven by the community wich decides ,
via consensus, on policies and such. This is such a refresher from real
life and politicians who enforce their rules on us...

> Then I'm wondering : is this the same for bylaws then? Community draft
policies and ask members for approval? Going by the same tangent (bottom up
model) is it wise for the board to participate? As this could lead to
unfortunate situations (like what I mentioned with real life politicians)

For number resource policies, anybody may draft a proposal, and it must
reach rough consensus in the community before it is implemented.

For bylaws changes, any member may propose a change, and it must be
approved by 75% vote by the members.

Board members are free to initiate policy proposals or bylaw chanegs, just
like anybody else.  I would argue that proposing sensible changes is part
of their job.

Alan Barrett