[Community-Discuss] Another BOD Governance Issue

serge ilunga sergekbk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 06:42:38 UTC 2016

Dear Alan,

Thanks for providing these clarification points.
Comments inline…

>To clarify the issues around the minutes of the Board meeting of 11 May
2016:

>1. Haitham el Nakhal requested not to chair any part of the meeting
because his audio quality was >poor.

>2. Aminata Garba was disconnected from the meeting due to technical
difficulties, before the >nominations were discussed.  She neither voted
not recused herself, because she was >not present >at the time.

In this case, when the chair lost connectivity, vice-chair unable to chair
the session and Aminata was disconnected, why was Kris chosen to chair to
avoid any COI, while the 3 board members and candidates were out?

“The Chairman lost connectivity at 16:48 UTC, KS acted as Chairman to avoid
any conflict of interest in the review of candidates.”

>>In both cases, I believe that it was a mistake for the minutes to omit
those facts.

If it is a mistake, it is an unacceptable one.
9 board members are elected to oversee the operation of this organization
and must assume their responsibilities in high standard.
It  is surprising that such minutes passed the board minutes management
process which must include, minutes taking, review by board members and
approval at the succeeding meeting.

Anyway, we look forward to the corrected minutes for the 11th may meeting.

Thanks

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Alan Barrett <alan.barrett at afrinic.net>
wrote:

> Hi Serge,
>

> > On 22 Jul 2016, at 15:15, sergekbk <sergekbk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The point is with BOD proceeding.
> > We can notice some inconstencies in conflict of Interest management.
> > Sunday, Haitham and Aminata are in the slate of candidates.
> > 1. Sunday  can chair the session while Haitham  can't because of
> conflict of interest when Sunday lost connectivity.
> > This seems a Bylaws (section 19.1)breach as Haitham (Vice Chair) is
> present but the chaimanship is given to Kris.
> > 2.Sunday and Haitham abstained to vote to approve the nominations while
> Aminata did not.
>
> To clarify the issues around the minutes of the Board meeting of 11 May
> 2016:
>
> 1. Haitham el Nakhal requested not to chair any part of the meeting
> because his audio quality was poor.
>
> 2. Aminata Garba was disconnected from the meeting due to technical
> difficulties, before the nominations were discussed.  She neither voted not
> recused herself, because she was not present at the time.
>
> In both cases, I believe that it was a mistake for the minutes to omit
> those facts.
>
> Alan Barrett

*Serge ILUNGA KABWIKA*
*Skype: sergekbk*