[AfriNIC-announce] Implementation: Global Policy for the Allocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address Space

Lillian O. Sharpley lillian at afrinic.net
Fri Mar 13 10:56:24 SAST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

The ICANN Board has ratified the Global Policy proposal for the Allocation of the
Remaining IPv4 Address Space. IANA has duly implemented the same.

See details below.

Regards,

Lillian Sharpley
Communications Area Manager
AfriNIC

On behalf of,

Vincent Ngundi
Chair, AfriNIC PDP-MG

-------------
At its meeting on 6 March 2009, the ICANN board ratified the Global Policy for the
Allocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address Space. Details of the resolutions adopted at
the meeting can be found on our web site at:

http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-06mar09.htm

The policy text has been published on the ICANN web site at:

http://www.icann.org/en/general/allocation-remaining-ipv4-space.htm

And linked from:

http://www.icann.org/en/general/global-addressing-policies.html

The policy requires us to reserve one /8 for each RIR from the IANA free pool. This
has been done. The remainder of the implementation will be done once the once the IANA
free pool has been fully allocated to RIRs.

There are currently 32 unallocated unicast IPv4 /8s. 27 are in the IANA free pool and
five are reserved under the Global Policy for the Allocation of the Remaining IPv4
Address Space.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Kind regards,

Leo Vegoda
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority