[AfrIPv6-Discuss] Next generation MITnet

Omo Oaiya Omo.Oaiya at wacren.net
Thu Apr 20 10:45:38 UTC 2017

> On 20 Apr 2017, at 11:28, Willy MANGA <willy.manga at auf.org> wrote:
>
> On universities field where we are involved, from my point of view that
> should even be mandatory. I will continue to say that there are no
> reasons to not use v6 today (not tomorrow).

There are some reasons why v6 cannot be used today.   Upstreams who don’t offer v6 is one.  Another is cost to retool and the resulting inertia

In AfricaConnect2, and preceding AfricaConnect, v6 was offered from the start so we will resolve the upstream issue, at least for NRENs and connected universities

> Concerning MIT statement it depends on where you stand. They will
> migrate completely to v6 because they will not «have to worry about the
> proliferation of smart phones, the Internet of Things, or whatever comes
> next» . Our universities have to follow that path in my humble opinion.

As you pointed out earlier in the blog, MIT is selling some of their IPv4 stock to fund this and will complete in 2019 despite these significant resources.

I am not saying African universities cannot lead the way, but it takes more than wishing it.

> Here in Cameroon, v6 networks work quite well in our networks (Yaounde
> [1],Ngaoundere [2]) and we'll continue to push its development in the
> region.

You are having to tunnel via v4.   I know a number of universities that ran such tunnels as far back as 2010.   They didn’t see the point in maintaining them.

You may be able to connect to the v6 Internet this way but you appearing on it as an American company.  I wouldn’t call this working quite well.  We can make it work better.

Best wishes
Omo