[AfrIPv6-Discuss] corporate apathy

Willy MANGA mangawilly at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 09:59:51 UTC 2016

Hi Saul,

Le 26/10/2016 à 10:36, Saul Stein a écrit :
> HI
>
> So after the last round of mails on this list, I emailed a friend of mine
> who I know head up the IT/Security for a company in the US asking if he
> makes use of v6 and if not, if he has plans to or why not and this was his
> response:
>

> "I am indeed in charge of 2 companies' IT in the US. We don't run IPv6 and
> my guidance is to disable IPv6 on all devices and block it on the
> firewall. The reasoning behind this is that IPv6 adds complexity and a
> possible alternate communications route with no advantage that I can see.
> If you can point me towards any business justification to use IPv6
> internally then I'd be very interested, but I haven't been swayed by the
> "because it's the right thing to do" argument."

So sad to read that when I see major companies enabling IPv6 on their
infrastructure. Today for instance AWS Route 53 now supports DNS Queries
over IPv6 Networks[0] ; that's a good news for their customers who want
to use DNS over v6.

> I guess  this is a fairly standard response. So this is the perception
> that we need to change.  The key being no ADVANTAGE.
>
> Does anyone know of any short articles that have been produced to counter
> this type of argument? Cases where 6to4 natting won't work etc?

It's still a *draft* but keep in mind that the «Best practice forum on
IPv6» (BPF-IPv6) is writing this doc [1] . Title : «Understanding the
commercial and economic incentives beneath a successful IPv6 deployment».

You can show him that doc when it will be done .

0.
https://aws.amazon.com/fr/about-aws/whats-new/2016/10/amazon-route-53-now-supports-dns-queries-over-ipv6-networks

1.
docs.google.com/document/d/1Z60lBcIk7U3LAFEK9V7dIQ11OWFx71zqmMAcs9uv1Hg/edit?usp=sharing--

---

Willy Manga
freenode: ongolaBoy
Ubuntu Cameroonian Loco Team