[AfrIPv6-Discuss] «Preparing for IPv6-only mobile networks : why and how»

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Thu Jun 2 22:03:27 UTC 2016

I was considering the background of the article: cellular networks with smartphones. I don’t think even the test mentioned in the article considers 3G/4G modems.

So in this case, you don’t run NAT444, just NAT44.

You don’t need to “manually” check the phone of each uses. It works creating a dual-stack APN and an IPv6-only APN, you can detect the cellular phones/OS version and configure to them one or the other. So users with IPv6-enabled phones (using 464XLAT such as Windows and Android, or with IPv6-enabled apps such as iOS), will use IPv6-only connectivity (but they get dual-stack service in the phone).

Smarpthones not capable of IPv6-only, or not IPv6-enabled at all, will use the dual-stack APN.

Regards,
Jordi