[AfrIPv6-Discuss] «Preparing for IPv6-only mobile networks : why and how»

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Jun 2 18:00:49 UTC 2016

On 2/Jun/16 16:39, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> I don’t think NAT444 reduces cost even initially … You need to buy the boxes, you have more radio bandwidth used for the keep-alives, etc., even more power consumption.
>
> It may be a case by case, for example if you existing network doesn’t support IPv6, or the majority of your uses doen’t have smartphones with IPv6 support, etc.

The amount of effort required in making sure your customer's phones
support IPv6, as well as having the back-end systems updated to match,
is too daunting for most mobile operators, taken from the point of view
of what they can immediately gain, but spending a couple of millions of
NAT444 today to earn billions tomorrow.

The desire for change has to be fundamental.

Mark.