[AfrIPv6-Discuss] «Preparing for IPv6-only mobile networks : why and how»

Mukom Akong T. tamon at afrinic.net
Fri Jun 3 01:12:27 UTC 2016

> On 3 Jun 2016, at 2:03 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es> wrote:
>
> I was considering the background of the article: cellular networks with smartphones. I don’t think even the test mentioned in the article considers 3G/4G modems.

the vast majority of 3G internet access in Africa is cellular network direct to smartphone. 3G/4G modems are growing but still a drop compared to direct smartphone access

> So in this case, you don’t run NAT444, just NAT44.

that’s assuming that the end-devices are IPv6 capable right?

> You don’t need to “manually” check the phone of each uses. It works creating a dual-stack APN and an IPv6-only APN, you can detect the cellular phones/OS version and configure to them one or the other. So users with IPv6-enabled phones (using 464XLAT such as Windows and Android, or with IPv6-enabled apps such as iOS), will use IPv6-only connectivity (but they get dual-stack service in the phone).
>
> Smarpthones not capable of IPv6-only, or not IPv6-enabled at all, will use the dual-stack APN.

You still need to have a reasonable device profile to at least know if the clients won’t get side-tracked by dual-stack APNs (there’s quite a lot of old 'smartphones' out here with pre-happy-eyeballs code.

Mukom Akong T.
Head of Capacity Building
AFRINIC Ltd
Twitter: @perfexcellent | @AFRINICTraining