[AfrIPv6-Discuss] NAT64 for Dual Stacking!

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Fri May 13 13:51:53 UTC 2016

Fabian, I'm wondering if you are not intentionally making things
difficult for yourself by introducing NAT64?

I think that you are at a University? - so maybe you do want complicated
- or a separate IPv6 network - in which case ignore the rest of this e-mail.

However:
From a Customers prospective, they usually do not care whether they are
on IPv4 or IPV6 (or both) - as long as the Internet "works".
IPv4 is going to be around for a while - so don't even think about
switching that off yet - unless its for some experiment. You should not
need IPv6 only either - we have quite a few IPv4 addresses left in
AFRINIC (and there is always (Uhg) NAT).
So, when I introduced IPv6 at my ISP, I took the idea that everything
that exists with an IPv4 address should also have an equivalent IPv6
address.

I started with my Cisco Routers - and my core. Interconnection and
Peering lines were "dual stacked" - rather the Routers were. There is
also nothing wrong with tunnels - if your upstream can not do IPv6 yet.
Hurricane Electric will accept a tunnel end point and allow BGP so you
can use your own network addresses.

I then enabled IPv6 on core systems such as Mail, Web and DNS servers -
making sure that all services could run on both protocols. All support
machines were also dual-stacked. This way - we could see that everything
pretty much worked as usual. Systems were also modified to allow for
longer IPv6 addresses in the DNS, Apache configs, Logs - etc
DNS was configured to listen on IPv6 (which we initially forgot). All
management systems were extended to include IPv6 addresses.
Lastly - IPv6 was pushed out to a few customers.

My idea was to make sure everything was available on both address
schemes. In addition, I also had an IPv6 only machine - so I could test
for connectivity, being pretty sure that IPv4 only machines could see
everything necessary. I still have some manageable switches that do IPv4
only :-(
I've been purchasing IPv6 capable printers for a few years now and most
access points (wifi access) have been reloaded with firmware that does
IPv6 as well. There are some odd and/or old machines that may never do
IPv6. They'll eventually die and be replaced.

I know in the early days of IPv6, some people designed a separate IPv6
network but I believe most simply dual-stack now.

For addresses, if a machine has a static address (Nameserver, Web/Mail
server, Router - etc) - I try and keep addresses simple and guessable.
I have 160.124.0.0/16 and 2001:42a0::/32

My main server is on 160.124.48.1/24 - so I made the IPv6
2001:42a0:1000:48::1/64

The odd '1000' gives the geographical region that the "48" network
exists in, otherwise it pretty much a 1:1 match.
This works for me just fine - but then I was fortunate enough to start
out with a big chunk of IPv4 address space.

Try and not make things more complicated than necessary.