[AfrIPv6-Discuss] NAT64 for Dual Stacking!

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue May 17 07:25:03 UTC 2016

On 13/May/16 15:51, Mark Elkins wrote:

> Try and not make things more complicated than necessary.

I think a use-case here is that the OP is trying to understand what it's
like to operate an IPv6-only network. There is some legitimacy to this;
more than likely, new networks coming online are going to find
themselves not being able to obtain IPv4 address space. This is already
the case in other regions around the world that no longer have any IPv4
space from their RIR's.

In an IPv6-only world, NAT64/DNS64/464XLAT is fundamental to maintaining
connectivity with IPv4-only resources. It becomes less important as more
IPv4-only resources either die or enable IPv6, but this will take time.

I think simply dismissing the OP's use-case (be it an experiment or an
actual operational exercise) is a disservice to him. This will be the
reality of many networks in the not-too-distant future.

Mark.