[AfrIPv6-Discuss] IPv6 adoption per country

Mukom Akong T. mukom.tamon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 06:59:05 UTC 2016

On 25 January 2016 at 10:16, Daniel Shaw <daniel at afrinic.net> wrote:

> > Only change is the vendor specific config sythax….
>
> That’s pretty much it. Yes. :-)

And this is a fallacy I've seen too often. The first version of this
fallacy was "Just 96 bits more".  IPv6 differs in much MORE than
configuration syntax.

- There's the fun and interesting (not always standards compliant) ways
that various combination of flags within RA messages interact with
different OSes

- There's the interesting implications of having both RAs and DHCPv6 each
providing different configuration options

- There's the implications of ICMPv6 and MLD gaining new levels of
criticality (if that's even a word) to operating IPv6.

Pretty much in every deployment case I've read, the implementers who get
burned often are because they adopted this fallacious mentality and then
the reality hit them in the face.