[AfrIPv6-Discuss] IPv6 adoption per country

Amreesh Phokeer amreesh at afrinic.net
Fri Jan 22 13:31:45 UTC 2016

> On Jan 22, 2016, at 3:46 PM, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Brice,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> At 09:38 17-01-2016, Brice ABBA wrote:
>> However, some of our members are complaining about the membership fees,
>> because we dont want to be an excuse for the fact they don't deploy
>> IPv6; we have decided to not the charge IPv6 allocation.
>
> AfriNIC is the most expensive RIR for IPv4 addresses.
>
>> Before and earlier in 2012 our audience in our workshops was made by 3
>> kind of people:
>>
>> -1- Around 40% Never heard about IPv6
>> -2- Around 60% Know about IPv6 over some reading
>> -3- Around 10% Run an IPv6 network
>>
>> Today we don't have the -1- group, this is an improvement.
>
> Ok.
>
>> We also have many countries in Africa such as (Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire,
>> Djibouti, Mauritanie, Came verde etc.. ) that think about National IPv6
>> migration strategy this is another improvement to see that at the
>> government level, we think IPv6. People know that they can have very
>> good IPv6 training from AFRINIC, this is very important because remember
>> that you have to know the foundation of IPv6 before to start any
>> implementation.
>
> I recall listening to Nishal explaining the IPv6 address format to AfriNIC engineers and member services employees. :-)
>
>> We do have many documents that talk about IPv6 implementation but as I
>> just said the majority want a plug and play scenario, which is very
>> complicated because Countries and Networks are not the same. Howeber
>> I'll go for @Stephen and @Latif proposal to create a dicumetn but this
>> time this document have to be very technique because remember that they
>> are waiting for plug and play scanario....
>
> Instead of many documents that talk about IPv6 implementation I suggest publishing the details of the implementation of IPv6 at AfriNIC.
>
> There is a Research & New Technology department at AfriNIC.  Has it done any study to find out what problems are preventing the members from deploying IPv6?

That could be envisaged by doing a membership survey. However, I don’t think it would be very useful for an R&D department of an RIR to do qualitative research on “the problems that are preventing members from deploying IPv6”. The issues have been discussed extensively and we all know what they are: lack of business case, availability of IPv4, lack of interest from decision makers, etc.
It would be more useful to invest resources in building tools around the allocation and usage of IPv6 such as http://6spots.afrinic.net/ <http://6spots.afrinic.net/>.
Such tools can be used by the same decision makers to come up with strategies and plans in the deployment of IPv6 in their respective countries.